Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday Morning Meltdown

It's not even noon yet and I can't tell you how many Hershey's Kisses I have had already today.  I hate to say it but I'm eating them by the handful.  I tell myself to stop but clearly I am not listening.  It is very strange this conscious silencing of my real voice.  I know what is good for me, I know that chocolate (especially in these quantities) is bad for me and my eating plan yet I consciously go ahead and eat it.  It's almost as if I am punishing myself, I am withholding what I want most in order to hurt myself.  Hummm, there's an honest statement  (and one that bears exploring)

"I am withholding what I want the most"   What I want the most is to have a healthy relationship with food, I want to stick to my plan, I want to feel good about myself and my eating, I want to become strong and powerful.  I want to be physically, emotionally, and spiritually healthy.  And even this early in the day - my eating has not gone according to plan.  I am consciously changing that right now.  For the rest of the day I eat according to plan, I exercise, and I write my Advent blog.  But, in the meantime I still need to decode what my behavior this morning is telling me so that I can recognize it and change it the next time.

As I stop and reflect on the morning, I think my behavior is driven by a combination of anger, guilt, and defensiveness all mixed up together.  I feel extremely guilty about not going to church this morning, I feel guilty for not going to the community Lenten program this afternoon, I feel anger that my husband has to go to all of these things AND that so much time on the weekends is taken up with church things.  So I feel like I've let God down, let the church down, and let my husband down.  Clearly, I need to let go of these expectations and resentments.  I suppose I have taken the first step here by recognizing and recording them.

No comments:

Post a Comment