Thursday, January 27, 2011

Reflections on mild depression.

I'm going through a tough time right now.  I am having a very difficult time saying no to food.  I don't have the energy to exercise and I want to read all the time.  Hummm, these symptoms usually mean one thing - depression.  It all started with the mammogram scare and I feel like I'm still reeling.  Plus its winter and its cold and I want to be in the warm and the sunshine.  I don't want to take pills to fix this.  I guess the best thing to do is to get proactive.  First, I'm going to take my vitamins - especially B complex, C, and D.  Second, I'm going to make sure I get lots of good protein and plenty of fruits and vegetables.  Finally, I'm going to exercise and treat myself really well.

What does it mean to treat myself well?  I think it means to show patience with myself.  To accept the mistakes I've made in my eating for the last week and just let it go and move on.  Give myself a mental hug so to speak.  So I've gained a pound or two.  Now that I know the problem I can deal with it.  I can start over.  I think kindness is the most important thing I can show myself.  I can't slip into that "no excuses, buckle down and do it right this time mentality."  That has never worked for me in the past - there's no reason to think it will work now.   I think a light, loving acceptance of myself will work far better.  I say to myself that my mistakes were the result of untreated, unrecognized depression,  but that I can make the changes to eliminate the depression and it will make me so much happier and when I'm happy staying within my calorie limits is empowering.  When I'm happy staying within my calorie limits isn't a sacrifice.

Today, I will take these steps to start down the path to emotional health.  Take my vitamins, ride the cycle for twenty minutes, eat a well balanced dinner - even if I have used up my calories for the day.  I'm starting now.

No comments:

Post a Comment