Saturday, January 22, 2011

Big Scare

    Last week I had my annual mammogram.  Two days later I got a call from a person at the Women's Health Center who told me that I needed a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound because there was a suspicious spot on the original mammograms.  Two days later I went for the second round of tests.  I saw the spot they were concerned about; a pea sized mass in my left breast. After 3 hours of waiting rooms and tests I met with the radiologist who told me that he wanted me to have a breast biopsy.  He also told me that he was 98% sure it wasn't cancer but the biopsy was necessary to rule it out.  At this point I was really getting nervous.  I kept telling myself that it most likely wasn't cancer but it was really hard to keep my mind on things.  This last Wednesday I had the biopsy and was out of work for 2 days. 
  I did really well with my eating until the biopsy and then things fell apart.  I ate everything - potato chips, a whole box of vanilla wafers, chocolate pudding, and malted milk balls.  I guess I managed to keep things somewhat under control because I still lost a pound. 
   Yesterday I got the good news that I don't have cancer - the spot was a cyst.  So the stress is gone but the need to eat is still there.  After a week of giving myself permission to snack I have to go back to staying within my calorie limits and it's not easy.  I'm having serious cravings for anything snack-ish.  I won't do it - if I give in today it will be harder to stay strong tomorrow.  So, I'm making a commitment to stay on my program today.

No comments:

Post a Comment