Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Power of a Single Choice

Happy New Year to everyone!  I want to share an interesting thing that happened during the past several days and how it has impacted my weight loss journey.  During the week between Christmas and New Years I went on a family vacation.  While I was on vacation I still checked in to my fitness pal and recorded everything I ate but I'm afraid I did not stay within my calorie limits as well as I should.  I was fairly active so I managed to get through the week with a one pound weight loss.  The thing about eating a bit more on vacation is that it can carry over when you get back home.  I came home on Saturday and I overate on Sunday and Monday as well.  On Tuesday afternoon my co worker was eating a Snickers bar and I decided to have one too so I got my money for the vending machine out of my wallet.  I got up to walk to the vending machines and I thought to myself "if I eat that Snickers Bar I may never get back on the plan and I will be back where I started when I began and I will hate myself."  In that split second I realized that I couldn't eat the Snickers bar - not that day anyway.  Instead I went and bought a Diet Coke. 

I came home from work on Tuesday evening totally recharged and recommitted to staying on the program.  For some reason that one choice on that particular day put me back on track and filled me with confidence that I could do this.  I was filled with optimism and excitement.

I think about this one little incident; the incredible feeling of power that one small choice on a totally ordinary day may have made -- changing the course of my life?  Perhaps.  Maybe I'm assigning too much importance to that particular choice, I can't say for sure.  All I know is one minute I was feeling defeated and the next I was filled with power and resolve.   I know there are days when I will chose to eat the Snickers Bar - I will need to be sure to record the candy and workout to minimize the damage.  But that's for another day. Right now - I'm good.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment