Saturday, December 11, 2010

Change

I have been pondering my continued obsession with the scale.  I realized I need a powerful reason to let go of this dependence.  I think I found my reason.  First, every time I worry about the numbers on the scale I become tense.  If the number is higher than I want I'm edgy for the rest of the day.  This pattern led me to think about the effect of the stress on my body; so I posted this question on the MFP community board:  "Does stress have a physiological effect on our bodies - does it make us gain weight?"  The answer was a resounding "Yes"  One member even posted an article for me.  This is going to be the reason for letting go of the obsession.

For me, in order to change I need a reason that is more powerful than the reason that drives my behavior.
The desire to lose weight drives my obsession with  the scale.  But the stress of wanting the numbers to go down contributes to my body holding on to the weight.  So, my desire to lose weight contributes to actually keeping the weight on. 

So the next thing to do is to continue to work on changing my habits,  to exercise every day, and to cultivate my other dreams.  Dreams of writing a book, dreams of living in a beautiful and restful environment, dreams of..... hummm, what other dreams so I have?  For so long the only dream that mattered was to lose weight and I'm well on my way to that.   I'm going to have to work on this dream cultivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment