Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dieting - 90% mental

I have gone for an entire month without losing any weight.  It is so frustrating.  I think 'awwww, this is pointless' or "why do I even bother" or "this will never happen."  And every time I think these things I have to fight the desire to just give in and eat anything.  I am frustrated and angry.  That doesn't help either. 

I know that the scale isn't the only measure of the changes that are going on - my pants are so big I'm afraid to wear them without my belt.  My belt is on the tightest hole - and it hangs loose.  So I know changes are happening.  But I want the validation of the scale.

I think it goes back to my dieting days when I was in elementary school.  If the scale went down I was good and if the scale didn't move I wasn't working hard enough.  I know how much better I feel and the scale shouldn't matter.  But it does. 

How much of my mental state has to do with the fact that deep down I still have the attitude that this weight loss thing is temporary.  That when I reach my goal I will be able to go back to eating what I want.  I know that isn't true but sometimes I unconsciously think that way.

1 comment:

  1. Ever thought of throwing out your scale? Seriously... obviously you know what you are doing, you are losing weight... and you have 'non-scale' proof. Its kind of scary... but I know a few people that did just that because they kept focusing on a number...

    ReplyDelete