Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Scale

Today, as I sit  here after logging my breakfast I realize I want to step on the scale to see how I'm doing.  I don't want this.  I don't want the constant thoughts about "have I lost weight yet?" or "If I do this until Christmas I will have lost X number of pounds.  This obsession with losing weight.  I don't want the focus of my life to be food or eating and that is what it becomes when I try to lose weight.  How do you stop this type of thinking?  The desire to weigh myself is as powerful as the desire to eat the other half of the donut yesterday.  Believe me when I say, I felt such a huge sense of relief when I threw the donut in the trash.  I was free from it.  It was a huge weight off my shoulders. 

About the scale though.  What do I do?  How do I stop thinking about it?  How do I stop obsessing about my weight?  I want this journey to be about being healthy, developing a healthy lifestyle.  The weight loss should be just a bonus.

1 comment:

  1. Here is what you do. Give the scale to Dad, and tell him to hide it so you won't know where it is. Ask him to ONLY bring it out for you on your weigh in day, whenever that is. Maybe once a week, or once every two weeks even. It is really an issue of trust - you have to trust that what you are doing will work. You have to believe that eating within your calorie range and exercising WILL WORK. Because if you are doing those things, it will. Your weight is only one way of evaluating things. Maybe you should also take measurements once a month.

    ReplyDelete